Once I saw this recipe for yellow cake with berries, it was in my belly within 48 hours. The flavors were simple and delicious…a perfect summer treat.
serves about 8/adapted from this recipe
Here’s what I used:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 pint blackberries (rinsed, dried and coated in a little flour)
Here’s what I did:
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt – set aside.
- Beat butter until smooth, and then mix in the cup of sugar.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Add eggs, one at a time, until thoroughly mixed.
- Add half of the dry mixture and mix until combined.
- Mix in the milk.
- Add remaining dry mixture and combine completely.
- Pour batter into a prepared 9″ round pan.
- Sprinkle fruit on top of batter and cover with the remaining 2 teaspoons of sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes.
- Cool in pan for about 15 minutes and then flip cake on a platter to cool completely.