You didn’t read that incorrectly – this is a recipe for beet cupcakes. I love beets. They’re versatile and delicious and oh so pretty. I had a bunch left over from last week’s CSA, and decided they deserved their own cupcakes. I ran across a few recipes for golden beet baked goods, but had to do a little research to find a red beet recipe I wanted to use. These ruby beauties are a little on the dense side, but the flavor is great. Now not everyone warmed up to beet cupcakes, but I think a few minds may have changed. The chocolate cream cheese frosting definitely helped my cause.
makes 12/adapted from this recipe
Here’s what I used:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- dash of salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup beet puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Here’s what I did:
- Mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, eggs and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the oil, sugar and vanilla.
- Add beet puree and mix thoroughly.
- Fill lined baking tins almost to the top. The batter will be dense.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- I highly suggest this chocolate cream cheese frosting….yum!